This recipe is the result of months of testing with Robert Wooller to find a simple, tasty way of preparing our whole birds.
SERVES 6-10 | PREP TIME 20 mins | COOK TIME Approx 2 hrs
Bunch of thyme
Sea salt flakes
1. Heat the oven to 160°C and place the chicken on a wire rack in a roasting dish.
2. Cut a lemon into quarters lengthways and place them into the cavity of the chicken along with thyme sprigs or herbs of your choice.
3. Brush melted butter over the chicken and season with sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper.
4. Pour a cup of water into the roasting tray and cover with aluminium foil and place into the pre heated oven. Cook for 1.5 to 2 hours until it reaches an internal temperature of at 70°C degrees by using a meat thermometer or ensuring juices run clear when skewered into the thickest part of the thigh.
5. If using a steam oven, heat oven to 80°C on steam or a combination of hot air + steaming and cook to an internal temperature of 70°C.
6. Remove from the oven and increase the oven temperature to 220°C while you brush the bird with melted butter, and return chicken to the oven.
7. When golden brown, remove from the oven and allow to rest before carving and plating.
Shop Milking Yard Farm Chickens
Purchase chickens directly from our farm through our online store