ROAST CHICKEN PIECES
This recipe was inspired by Bruce Poole and is a faster way of preparing a whole bird or individual pieces.
Duck or chicken fat
Garlic & herbs to taste
SERVES 4 | PREP TIME 30 mins | COOK TIME Approx 2 hrs
1. Remove the legs and thigh from the bird but leave the breasts and wings on the crown.
2. Lightly oil the crown and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
3. Add a tablespoon of duck or chicken fat to a very hot pan, and pan fry both sides of the breast for just a few minutes until golden brown. Do the same with the legs, skin side down. But don’t overcook.
4. Place the crown, breast up in a baking tray with the legs skin side up. Apply herbs such as tarragon or thyme generously in the cavity and under the pieces. Cut a head of garlic in two and add the halves to the tray.
5. Place the tray in a hot oven 225°C for 30 to 35 mins, basting twice, taking care not to burn the garlic. Use a probe to ensure the thickest part of the breast temp does not exceed 70°C.
6. Remove from oven, and cover loosely with foil for at least 30 minutes, and use pan juices for gravy.